If you wish to come to the UK to study on a long term basis, then you will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) VISA.


You will need to be over the age of 16 and a non-EEA national.

The main requirements are:

  • To have been offered a place at a UKBA approved college or university
  • You have the relevant knowledge of English language
  • You meet the requisite financial requirement in terms of paying your course fees and maintaining yourself. Different amounts are required depending on whether you will come and study in or outside London

The length of the visa depends upon the length of the course you will be studying.  You may be able to apply to bring your dependants to the UK with you.

If you would like to come to the UK  to do a short course of study then there is the option to apply for what is know as a Short Term Study Visa.


Children who wish to come to the UK on a long term basis to study, can apply for a Tier 4 child visa.  The requirements are similar to the Tier 4 General visa, but the applicant must be between the age of 4 and 17 and must have the consent of their parent or guardian. There is no set English requirement.

Contact us today on 0808 166 8831 or email a.minnaar@sydneymitchell.co.uk or m.southall@sydneymitchell.co.uk alternatively complete our online enquiry form.

UK Top Tier Firm 2021 Lexcel Practice Management Standard Birmingham Law Firm of the Year for 2011 Resolution Collaborative Family Lawyer
The Law Society Accredited in Family Law Conveyancing Quality Scheme