If you are a British Citizen or have settled status in the UK and you want to bring your partner, who is overseas, to the UK on a long term basis then we can help.

There are two main types of visa application:

Applications for Fiancé(e)s and Proposed Civil Partners

If you are engaged and wish to marry or enter into a Civil Partnership within the UK then an application is made for your partner to come to the UK for that ceremony to take place.

If the application is successful they will be granted a visa for 6 months to come to the UK and the Marriage/ Civil Partnership must take place during that time. Once it has then your partner can make an application from within the UK to switch onto the spouse or civil partner visa.

Applications for spouses, civil partners or unmarried partners

If you are already married or in a civil partnership then an application can be made for your partner to join you in the UK. If granted a visa is given for 30 months, which is extendable either on the 5 year or 10 year route to settlement.

If you are in a long term relationship, the same application can be made, but evidence of two years cohabitation is expected.

What are the requirements?

In order for a visa to be granted, all of the requirements must be met.

  • The Applicant must meet the suitability requirements which amongst other factors look at criminal history and immigration history
  • Both parties must be over the age of 18
  • The parties must not be closely related outside of marriage
  • The couple must have met
  • The couple intend to marry / have a civil partnership in the UK or are in a genuine and subsisting marriage, civil partnership or relationship
  • Both parties were free to marry and all previous relationships had broken down
  • The couple intend to live together permanently
  • The financial threshold is met, by showing the UK sponsor has an income of  a prescribed amount per annum to bring a foreign spouse, plus an additional amount per annum for the first child and for each additional child, unless the children are British.

Alternatively, parties can rely upon other means, for example cash savings or pension income. 

If the UK Sponsor is in receipt of certain benefits, for example Carers Allowance then the financial threshold is not applied, instead they must be in receipt of the equivalent income support level for a couple or family in their circumstances.

  • Proof of English Language at prescribed level
  • A TB test certificate is required if the Applicant is from certain countries
  • For the Fiancé(e) and proposed civil partnership route there is an additional requirement of proving that if a visa is granted the Marriage or Civil Partnership will take place

How can we help?

If this is the type of application that you wish to make, then our helpful and friendly team can guide you through the process every step of the way, from taking initial details on your circumstances to completing the application on your behalf and providing legal representations to the Entry Clearance Officer. We will help you every step of the way!

Please do get in touch for a no obligation fixed fee quotation. We will also give you details about the Home Office application fees and any Immigration Health Surcharge fee which may apply.

Contact us today on 0808 166 8831 or email a.minnaar@sydneymitchell.co.uk or m.southall@sydneymitchell.co.uk alternatively complete our online enquiry form.


UK Top Tier Firm 2022 Lexcel Practice Management Standard Birmingham Law Firm of the Year for 2021 Resolution Collaborative Family Lawyer
The Law Society Accredited in Family Law Conveyancing Quality Scheme