Have you been the victim of a criminal assult?

If so then your claim needs to be brought within TWO YEARS of the assault. Claims are handled by a government funded body, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

Cases normally need to have been reported to the Police. Whilst the attacker does not NEED to have been convicted of assault this clearly helps prove your case.

The CICA pay out compensation on a fixed scale which can be less generous than the courts in other types of accident claim.

Personal Injury

Claims for personal injury are assessed on the severity of the injuries and a tariff applies, starting at the minimum of £1,000 up to a maximum of £250,000.

Loss of Earnings and Expenses

If you have been prevented from working because of your injury for over 28 weeks, following a criminal assault, you may also claim for your loss of earnings from the 29th week. Compensation may also be payable for other unusual expenses.

You should check with us before taking any action that might compromise your potential claim.

PLEASE NOTE: the figures on our Compensation Calculator do not apply to CICA claims who operate a different scale.

Self Assessment Form

If you have been a victim of an assault or violent crime in which you were injured within the last 2 years, then we can help ease the stress and worry involved in making a claim.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) compensates the innocent victims of violent crime, and we ensure that your application for compensation runs smoothly and efficiently.

Making a claim

In order to make a claim, the following questions will be asked -

What was the date of the assault?

If assault was more than 2 years ago you cannot claim unless you can show special circumstances, please contact us so we can advise you.

Has the assault been reported to the police?

Assaults must have been reported to the Police. If not reported there may still be a claim but only if the assault is reported to the police as soon as possible. You must also co-operate throughout any police prosecution unless the assault was by a patient with mental health difficulties.

Were you injured?

No injury no claim.

Have you been to your GP/hospital as a result of your injuries suffered in the assault?

It is essential to have written medical confirmation of your injuries. If you have not got this consider visiting your GP as soon as possible.

Do you have a criminal record for assault and/or crimes including violence?

If you have convictions yourself, especially for crimes of violence, then it is likely that the CICA may refuse to deal with the claim or reduce the compensation, depending on the offence.

If the person who assaulted you lived with you at the time of the assault, are they still living with you?

If the person who assaulted you lived with you at the time of the assault is still living with you then you cannot claim.

For more information about making a claim contact us today.

UK Top Tier Firm 2022 Lexcel Practice Management Standard Birmingham Law Firm of the Year for 2021 Resolution Collaborative Family Lawyer
The Law Society Accredited in Family Law Conveyancing Quality Scheme